Translate

Wednesday 18 December 2013

Fedora 20 released

The latest version of Fedora has finally available. The biggest difference I have seen so far is that they have now included virtualisation in the kernel and so there is no longer any need to install third-party products such as VMWare.

There is also a new cut of RedHat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) currently in Beta, so expect many of the new Fedora features to be back-ported in to the main RedHat products.

I installed the latest Gnome spin, however after a few hours replaced it with Mate as I still really hate the quasi-Windows-8 look and feel, the slow reponse, and lack of simple features that are already available through Mate and Cinnamon. This is a real shame as I love the simplicity of useability of the standard RedHat and Centos desktops.

I think that IBM really needs to wake-up and embrace a lot of the latest functionality such as Yum if they are to reverse their declining market share.

No comments:

Post a Comment